- Original Release: 18th October 1994
- Developer: Sonic Team
- Publisher: Sega
- Original Platform: Mega Drive (Sonic & Knuckles Lock-On with Sonic the Hedgehog)
- Version Played: Xbox Series S
Blue Spheres (or sometimes just Blue Sphere) is a full version of the special stages from Sonic 3 & Knuckles. You can access it by combining the Sonic & Knuckles cartridge with the Sonic 1 cartridge. You could also get access to single levels by combining Sonic & Knuckles with other catridges.
In Blue Spheres, Sonic is automatically running forward. The aim is to turn all the blue spheres into red spheres by running into them – but running into red spheres will end the game. If you create a rectangle of red spheres, then they and all the spheres inside it will turn into coins. If you manage to collect all of these you get to skip levels.
There are other kinds of speres, such as bumpers and bouncers to help or hinder your movement. As time progresses, the game will get quicker and quicker. It gets extremely manic.
There are an immense amount of levels – 134,217,728 (or 128,016,000 distinct layouts) so it’s pretty much a “play until you get bored” kind of game. It’s a lot of fun for a quick blast, though.
Where to get
- Sonic & Knuckles Collection (PC)
- Sonic Jam (Saturn)
- Sonic Mega Collection (GameCube)
- Sonic Mega Collection Plus (PS2/Xbox)
- Sonic Origins (Switch, Xbox One & Series, PS4 & PS5, Steam)
Browse Games By Year